Are you planning to have your child baptized? Parents who wish to have their children welcomed into the family of the Church through the sacrament of Baptism are asked to call the parish office to register for Baptism Preparation. The sessions (Parts 1 and 2) are generally held at 1:15 pm on two Sundays each month. Parents (and godparents if at all possible) are required to attend. If godparents do not live nearby, they are asked to attend a session at their home parish.
Attendance at the sessions can take place before or after the birth of the baby. The date for celebration of Baptism will be made after the baby is born.
Requirements prior to Infant Baptism:
- Families must be registered parishioners. Registration takes place in person at the Parish Office by appointment.
- Families must register to attend the Baptism preparation sessions by contacting the Parish Office.
Requirements for Godparents:
- The Baptismal rite calls for one godparent, but there may be two.
- If there are two godparents, one must be male and the other female.
- Canon Law requires that godparents be not less than 16 years of age.
- At least one godparent must be a Catholic who is in good standing with the Church and who has received the sacraments of Eucharist and Confirmation. A baptized non-Catholic may serve as a Christian witness.
- Godparent(s) must provide a letter from their pastor stating that they are actively practicing the Catholic faith and are able to serve as godparents. A Christian witness must similarly provide a letter from his/her minister stating that he/she is actively practicing his/her faith and has been baptized.
- Godparents must be living a life befitting the role of a godparent; that is, they must be living witnesses of Christ, role models who live the Christian faith they profess.
Baptism is celebrated during weekend Mass in the presence of the community of faith one weekend each month. The gathered community participates in praying for and welcoming the child into God’s family and commits to helping the child grow as Jesus’ disciple.
To register for Baptism formation contact Mary Von Koss at email@example.com or (248) 646-2686.