Code of Conduct
The following is the Code of Pastoral Conduct for Priests, Deacons, Pastoral Ministers, Administrators, Staff and Volunteers. Our children are the most important gifts God has entrusted to us. Staff and volunteers must strictly follow the rules and guidelines in this Code of Conduct for Volunteers as a condition of providing services to the children and youth of our Archdiocese.
A Volunteer Must . . .
- Treat everyone with respect, loyalty, patience, integrity, courtesy, dignity and consideration.
- Avoid situations where he or she is alone with children and/or youth at Church activities.
- Use positive reinforcement rather than criticism, competition or comparison when working with children and/or youth.
- Refuse to accept expensive gifts from children, youth or their parents without prior written approval from the pastor or administration.
- Refrain from giving expensive gifts to children and/or youth without prior written approval from the parents or guardian and the pastor or administrator.
- Report suspected abuse to the pastor, administrator or appropriate supervisor and the local Child Protective Services agency. Failure to report suspected abuse to civil authorities (by required reporters) is, according to the law a misdemeanor.
- Cooperate fully in any investigation of abuse of children and/or youth.
A Volunteer Must NOT . . .
- Smoke or use tobacco products on St. Regis property.
- Smoke, use or ingest marijuana on St. Regis property.
- Use, possess or be under the influence of alcohol or marijuana at any time while volunteering.
- Use, possess or be under the influence of illegal drugs at any time.
- Pose any health risk to children and/or youth through fevers or other contagious situations.
- Strike, spank, shake or slap children and/or youth
- Humiliate, ridicule threaten or degrade children and/or youth.
- Touch a child and/or youth in a sexual or other inappropriate manner.
- Use any discipline that frightens or humiliates children and/or youth.
- Use profanity in the presence of children and/or youth.
A volunteer working with children and/or youth is subject to a thorough background check, including criminal history. Any action inconsistent with this Code of Pastoral Conduct or failure to take action mandated by this Code of Pastoral Conduct may result in removal as a volunteer with children and/or youth.
Please fill out the form below to consent that you have read and understand these guidelines in order to volunteer at St. Regis Parish.